Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Freedom in My Soul


by Micael Shields

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as 
well.” — Matthew 6:33 (NIV) 

REFLECT
As I look at the context of this verse, the wisdom of Jesus is simple, deep and opposite 
of our natural tendencies. Jesus is in the middle of the Sermon on the Mount — His 
longest recorded sermon. A primary theme of the sermon is the true freedom found in 
being a citizen of God’s kingdom. 

Jesus begins this section of His message talking about the foolishness of spending 
all our energy storing up earthly treasures (Matthew 6:19-21). As this passage speaks to my 
heart, Jesus is talking about my natural mindset and condition — to focus on myself and 
what I believe to be best. I so often fall into the trap of finding “freedom” in my bank account 
or the applause of others or building my own kingdom. Instead, Christ asks me to lift my gaze 
and focus away from me and onto my King. By focusing on the King and abiding by His ways, 
I experience true freedom!

 When I experience freedom in my soul, I know that I am in Christ (John 8:36, 1 
John 4:18). This freedom compels me to be generous, just as my King is generous to me. I 
no longer seek the praise of others. I no longer want the recognition and power. I no longer 
place my value and security in the almighty dollar. Instead, I bow before The Almighty and 
offer everything to Him out of the overflow of a heart that has been set free!

RESPOND
Father, thank You for bringing me into Your kingdom. May I daily find freedom in You 
alone. I pray that this freedom compels me to be generous with my time, talent and 
treasure. I ask that You would take what little I have and use it to influence those with 
Your Word to be generous to those who need your Scripture. I ask that Your kingdom come to 
Earth, and that all may live generously because of the freedom we have in Christ. Amen.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment