
What does one say on such a grievous day? This post will not be a “feel good” post but I ask you that if you started reading that you read to the end.
I’m a visionary, I tend to look forward more than backward, I have a hard time focusing on today because in January I see August 2013…and 2014. God wired me this way and for that I’m thankful. Most days I focus on the future, push the team forward, and build strategies to outperform the competitor (the abortion industry). Most days I’m hopeful and gladly casting vision. But the last few weeks leading up to this grievous anniversary of Roe v Wade I’ve been looking backward. I’ve been dwelling on the past 40 years and to be honest, I’ve been paralyzed by it. I’ve been mourning.
We talk daily about “abortions”, the number of them, the decisions about them, the people impacted by them. We talk about them in the term “abortion” because, well, it is a sterile word and one we can digest when we say there are 55 MILLION abortions that have taken place in our nation since January 22, 1973. When we say there are an estimated 50 MILLION abortions worldwide EVERY year. When we say that 7,185 abortions happened in Wake County last year. When we say that on average 23 abortions take place in Wake County each day. We talk in sterile procedures because if we called each one what it was--a dead baby, a broken mother, a broken father, a sibling gone, a grandchild missed—we would be undone. I would be undone and paralyzed every day.
I’m going to let you in on a little secret…those of us in the battlefield of this issue daily say it in sterile terms, but we hear it in the true, personal terms. Lives lost-- Innocent lives taken at the hand of a legal procedure--Broken mothers and fathers--assault on LIFE, the born and the unborn.
There are two truths that bring me any comfort and that keep me going when I want to stop:
First, I rejoice in the truth that each baby aborted goes directly to the throne room of heaven to worship. As a tiny little person made in the image of God, created for worship, all the little boys and girls are living their greatest purpose—worshipping God! This truth lets us name these sweet babies, giving them the dignity they deserve and we can mourn their loss and pursue their hurting mothers for healing.
I rest my own motherly grief in the grace of Christ who holds my worshiping little Victoria Elise who would be 22 years old now. How great a grace of a savior that lets a woman who added to the number of the 55 million be a part of saving hundreds!
Second, I accept that this world is broken and when everything seems to “not be right”, it is because it is not what God intended, everything is broken by sin. When it seems like too much to bear, it is because it is too much to bear-- we were not created to see, feel, or experience death. Our hope is only in the return of Christ. As much as I’d like to see an end to abortion, to see the Church rise up in the fight, to see believers housing mothers in need, giving generously, and for every unplanned mom to choose LIFE…my hope can only rest in Christ returning and making all things new. When Christ returns and wipes away our tears, takes away all our sin THEN and only then will we rest from the battle raging against human life and dignity.
So, today, on the anniversary of Roe v Wade, while a good bit of the nation rejoices in the advances of “women’s health rights” take a moment to mourn with us over the loss of a generation. Take a moment and ask God what HE wants you doing in this battle today, tomorrow, and for the years to come.
I assure you that He wants you doing something significant for the cause of LIFE for there are few causes that result in 23 lives lost daily, 7,185 annually, in your backyard. There are few causes that assault the image of God in man like abortion. There are few causes that are ONLY supported by pro-life believers for most causes are gladly supported by a nice humanitarian.
Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to die; save them as they stagger to their death. -Proverbs 24:11
No comments:
Post a Comment